Susan Looney is a sought-after presenter, a published author, and a talented educator. As the founder of Looney Math Consulting (LMC), she supports all aspects of the organization. Susan develops materials, trains a team of consultants, and conducts courses and workshops that reach hundreds of teachers each year. She holds a Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialty in Mathematics Education from Boston University. Susan is skilled at reaching all levels of learners from the experienced math educator to the math-phobic adult. Her work is grounded in over 20 years of first-hand experiences with children. Susan has been employed as adjunct faculty at Boston University where she developed and delivered a course for early childhood educators. She is the author of Exemplars PreK Math. Susan is particularly interested in the productive struggle in the early childhood math classroom.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Boston, April 2017 (Let’s be Detectives: Unpacking SMP 7 & 8 in the early childhood classroom)
- MACS, Bridgewater, MA March 2016 (Modeling with the Mathematics in the Early Grades)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Boston, April 2015 (Mathematizing your Routines)
- The Reading Institute, Williamstown, MA, March 2014 (Counting is as easy as 1,2,3 … or is it?)
- Association of Teachers of Mathematics: Marlboro, MA, March 2010 (Teaching Math with Understanding)
- High Five for Mathematics – pending publication in NCTM Teaching Children Mathematics – scheduled for May 2016.
- Exemplars, (2006). Pre-K Math, (Looney, S. Editor.). Vermont: Author.